Job Location: HQ –Rockville, MD, local travel (MD/DC)
Position Type: Full Time
Supervisory: yes; 3 direct reports~60 employees in total
Hours: 9-6pm, Monday through Friday; exempt
The primary role of the Vice President, Property Management is to lead and oversee the effective, efficient daily operations of Tower’s diverse real estate portfolio which includes a 1,400-unit residential campus, as well as more than 1.4 million square feet of managed commercial and retail space in the DC metropolitan market. The VP, Property Management will build, implement and continually monitor strategic operational plans to ensure the continued financial growth and operational development of our property management company while striving to exceed both our client and employee expectations. The VP will evaluate operational processes and systems to ensure the highest level of efficiency and effectiveness for the company and will work across all departments within the organization. The chosen candidate will have a passion for people and a dedication to growing the careers of the team to sustain long-term leadership needs of the organization and promote retention. The VP will demonstrate Tower’s company values, and uphold Tower’s vision and mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Vice President, Property Management will report to the ownership of Tower and is a highly visible leader within our organization and will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team. This leader will work across departments in a collaborative effort to ensure the success of the company, departments include Construction, Development, Leasing, Asset Management, Tenant Improvement, Sustainability, Legal, Accounting, Tax, and Human Resources.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
*Provide visible, ethical leadership across the portfolio of assets; ensuring a culture of the highest standards of conduct and demonstrating expectations of unparalleled service.
*Represent the interests of Tower’s ownership; think and act as an owner, taking proprietary interest in the assets and ensuring their operational excellence. Communicate daily and meet routinely with ownership for transparency and updates of the day to day operations of each asset/portfolio.
* Build strong relationships of trust with internal (i.e., owners, peers and support teams) and external (i.e., residents, clients, vendors) constituents and stakeholders.
*Analyze the current team and available resources to create and maintain an organizational structure for maximum efficiency.
*Analyze market trends, competitive activity, pricing strategies, etc. and will respond with a sense of urgency to maintain high levels of occupancy and retention within every asset of Tower. Work closely with Asset Management and Commercial/Retail Leasing on commercial/retail strategies for occupancy.
*Analyze internal business processes relative to property operations. Identify synergies, economies of scale, and efficiencies which add operational and financial value to the business.
* Assist the Property Managers in the creation and management of profit and loss statement, budgets, including approving expenditures for all areas of responsibility. Provide year-end input to corporate budget, in particular, to those line items within area of responsibility.
*Along with the Property Managers, analyze capital improvement projects needed for effective property operations; assess priorities as well as avenues for completion and work with appropriate department heads for bids, contract negotiations, etc. to make recommendations to Owners and senior leadership.
* Analyze business metrics throughout the year to drive performance of self and teams as well as shift priorities and adjust practices as needed in support of overall goals.
* Promote the use of and utilize all company resources to maintain pulse on client, associate and vendor satisfaction. Provide new thoughts and ideas on how to respond when results are less than ideal.
*Ensure safety standards are consistent throughout the portfolios, meeting or exceeding standards of compliance. Ensure asset emergency planning is achieved and well communicated throughout the properties. Ensure safety and emergency training is scheduled and executed.
*Work collaboratively with Tower’s Sustainability department to implement current, and leading technologies and practices to support Tower’s sustainability goals and objectives. Ensure communications relative to sustainability are consistent and clear as disseminated to staff, residents and tenants.
* Partner with the Human Resources and Accounting departments and assist with recruiting, hiring, payroll approval, coaching and developing, and performance management processes for associates. Maintain working knowledge of company Human Resource policies, programs and initiatives.
* Partner with the Human Resources department on all employee relations issues to ensure operational integrity and client service levels are maintained.
* Commit to attending, and leading in certain circumstances, all designated company meetings and events within areas of responsibility; including supervisor meetings, team meetings, client meetings and others that may arise from time to time.
* Build and support an organizational culture that drives passion for continuous improvement and professional development throughout the company.
* Develop and implement strategies which promote the organization’s mission, core values and pillars of service.
* In an evolving culture of change, be an initiator and champion of change and lead team through change management.
* Maintain a positive, collaborative, and cohesive work environment to attract and retain top level leaders and associates throughout the organization.
* Build a high functioning team of leaders and associates through performance management, coaching, mentoring, succession planning, and leading by example.
*Proactively seek opportunities to educate and develop the property management teams, with a focus on consistent leadership development and the creating the highest level of customer experience in each portfolio. Create an expectation and a standard of excellence and ensure accountability by all.
* Communicate, motivate and inspire others to reach company goals and performance objectives. Provide information, knowledge and methods that translate vision into reality.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience requirements:
*Must possess college degree; or equivalent industry experience.
*Experience in multifamily residential, commercial and retail property management.
*10+ years of experience in property management industry.
*8+ years of proven leadership skills and ability to lead large teams at a Director level or greater.
* Graduate level education or higher desired.
* Industry designation strongly preferred.
Competencies, knowledge and traits required:
*A proven leader within the property management industry with a strong reputation for producing positive, profitable operational outcomes while upholding the highest ethical standards.
* Thorough knowledge of property management best practices; commercial, retail and residential laws and operational requirements.
* Demonstrated and verified strong ethical practices.
* A transparent communicator; constant interaction with ownership and employees.
* A passion for sustainable practices and managing and maintaining assets of positive purpose.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong internal/external customer relations skills required with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, associates, vendors and other stakeholders.
* Organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task, implement, and monitor progress for successful completion.
* Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment meeting deadlines.
* Demonstrates attention to detail.
* Demonstrates awareness of variables which could affect associate retention and/or morale; for both clients and associates.
* Demonstrates reliability and dependability to support daily operations, company meetings, client meetings and/or other activities.
* Demonstrated ability to train, develop and educate associates.
* Proficient in daily use and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications; including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
*Yardi software experience (or similar Property Management operational software) required.
*All candidates considered for hire must complete and pass a background check and drug test with outcomes that meet Tower’s standards for hire.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.murphy@Towercompanies.com No phone calls please.
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies built Blair Towns, the first LEED certified apartments in the country, and is an international authority in the industry. We have been recognized for our commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency. EOE