Office Location: Rockville, Maryland
Position Type: Full Time
The Director/VP of Construction is responsible for the management and oversight of Tower’s new construction, renovation and capital improvement projects throughout its portfolio. The Tower Team strives to be a leader in the Washington D.C. real estate industry, by developing and managing high performance properties, while striving to incorporate sustainable and innovative practices. The Director/VP of Construction will work closely with the development, engineering, property management, sustainability, leasing, legal, and accounting teams to ensure the completion of highly successful projects, on time and on budget.
The Director/VP of Construction will be responsible for following efforts:
- Oversee all new construction, renovation and capital improvement projects across the Tower portfolio;
- Manage architects, engineers, and other design consultants during design process and through contract administration during construction;
- Assist with development of budgets and pro-formas for projects;
- Based on ability and desire, involvement in development process for new projects including, but not limited to, acquisitions, due diligence, procurement of financing, meetings/negotiation with planning staff, and presentations to planning boards;
- Supervise Tower Companies office and field personnel assigned to projects;
- Oversee governmental/regulatory permitting process for all projects;
- Manage procurement bidding process for all projects;
- Review and negotiate general contractor pricing, schedules and contracts;
- Review contract documents including plans and specifications;
- Review applicable submittals, shop drawings, and RFI’s;
- Prepare and maintain schedules for projects, as required;
- Review general contractor schedule updates;
- Serve as main Tower Companies representative for all construction progress meetings;
- Review and approve general contractors’ and architect/engineer/consultants’ monthly applications for payment;
- Review and approve vendor invoices for all projects;
- Review, negotiate and approve all general contractor change order requests;
- Serve as main point of contact for lenders during construction phase of projects, including invoice review meetings with lender inspectors and preparation and submission of monthly draws;
- Coordinate with Property Management on project impacts to the properties, buildings, residents & tenants;
- Manage the procurement, receipt and placement of FF&E items associated with projects;
- Develop project specific security system designs and manage installation/integration with existing security system infrastructure;
- Prepare and confirm completion of punch lists for projects;
- Upon request, provide assistance, guidance or recommendation to Property Management for matters related to on-going operations;
- Maintain a current knowledge of applicable codes and ordinances related to construction and sustainability standards;
- Verify that LEED requirements are being followed by contractors at all times;
- Provide bi-weekly executive summary reports of weekly activity and other reports as the need arises;
- Represent the Company at speaking events or project tours;
- Obtain and/or maintain LEED AP credentials;
- Assist in the management and documentation of LEED projects including but not limited to LEED systems known as EB, NC, CS, CI, and ND as well as future guidelines that may be established;
- Assist in the identifying and generating the documentation related to Utility Rebates, Tax Credits, Tax Deductions, and similar programs;
- Other duties that may be assigned that relate to real estate development, new construction, and renovation;
- Bachelor degree in engineering or construction.
- Minimum 10 – 20 years of related work experience.
- Familiar with LEED and other sustainability practices.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and product/material specifications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize projects to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, highly motivated and have strong organizational skills.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Sheila Mitchell at email@example.com. No phone calls please.