Reports to: Senior Property Manager; VP, Engineering
Direct reports: 2 direct reports, along with management of contractors
The Chief Building Engineer is responsible for working directly with the property management, engineering, and sustainability leadership in implementing and maintaining the building management systems, scheduling and conducting all preventative maintenance, creating an executing building operations objectives and maintaining Tower’s quality standards. The Chief Building Engineer will work in a manner to protect the building asset and the value of the property.
This position will be responsible for the day to day efficient operations of two, Class A commercial properties in Rockville, Maryland. This is a hands-on managerial role, leading by example, motivating, training and mentoring staff. Outstanding client service is emphasized in this role and excellent judgement and customer service must be utilized at all times. The Tower Companies is a leader in sustainability practices, and the Chief Building Engineer must lead with this in mind, participating in our energy management and green strategies and consistently executing in our tactical efforts to uphold our green and sustainable practices.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
Supervise, motivate, coach and develop building maintenance technicians including training, personnel development, contribute to performance evaluations and quarterly check-ins.
Demonstrate outstanding client relationships at all times. Develop and maintain positive relationships with internal/external clients and vendors.
Recommend/implement improvements for the preventative maintenance program on an on-going basis, and ensure completion of PM in each asset on an approved schedule.
Develop/maintain effective building-specific maintenance and safety procedures and uphold and enforce Company policies and procedures/
Respond to customer service and technical service calls, and ensure the team is also responsive. Follow up with techs to ensure completion of assigned work. Interact with/follow up with clients as needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
Proactively maintain chillers, pumps, VaVs, cooling tower equipment.
Monitor and adjust all mechanical equipment as needed or required by the VP of Engineering, control gauges, thermostats, diffusers and other equipment.
Inspect generator room, fire pump room, mechanical rooms, cooling tower, all motors, house pumps and sump pump.
Troubleshoot, evaluate and make recommendations to upgrade maintenance equipment or implement savings opportunities.
Respond immediately to emergency situations and client concerns to include service tickets.
Inspect building grounds, equipment for safety regulation and operations.
Practice safe work habits; comply with Maryland and Montgomery County regulations and applicable codes and Company directives as related to building operations
Act as full member of the Building Team, fostering relationships with vendors and janitorial staff and property managers
Document and report activities within the buildings; providing detailed communications to the Senior Property Manager, and the VP, Engineering.
Utilize computer and phone for email communication & energy management.
Contribute to the preparation of the quarterly and annual budgets.
Constantly explore, research suggest and implement new energy savings ideas and procedures.
- 10+ years facilities engineering experience with responsibility for multiple assets.
- 3+ years in a Chief Engineering role, with supervisory responsibilities.
- Technical expertise required in large commercial building systems, as well as routine technical skills such as electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall and tile repair, appliance repair.
- A proprietary or “ownership” leadership mentality; assuming the responsibility of both technical and customer service aspects of multiple assets.
- Sound judgement with the ability to diagnose and address escalated issues quickly. Ability to handle the majority of technical issues onsite, with the judgement to know when to contact the Senior Property Manager or the VP, Engineering, or outside contractors.
- Proven experience and ability to consistently and fairly motivate and manage a small team.
- Ability to prioritize workload each day; flexible to address needs in the moment as required.
- Strong English language skills, written and verbal. Spanish language skills a plus. High level communicator; concise and clear with direction.
- Leader by example; cool and consistent under pressure; professional and decisive under all circumstances. Displays a consistently high customer service demeanor, moral standard and work ethic. Communicates with transparency, any and all issues to appropriate parties.
- Solid Microsoft office skills with knowledge of a maintenance IT software program. Ability to analyze reports and utilize the system to illustrate team effectiveness or deficiency.
- A timely responsiveness to all stakeholders; residents, clients, vendors, peers and leadership. This includes calls, emails, in person meetings.
- Ability to work beyond standard business hours as needed. 24 hour availability is required.
- Must respond to all emergencies onsite, regardless of hour.
- Successful completion of background check and drug test to meet Tower’s hiring standards.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.Murphy@Towercompanies.com
No phone calls please. EOE
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies is recognized as an international authority in the industry, and to have been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency.