Positon: Bilingual (Spanish/English) HR Specialist
Reports to: VP, Human Resources
Direct reports: none
We’re looking for an independent, energetic go-getter to join our small HR department within our mixed use, private real estate firm. The ideal candidate is bilingual (Spanish/English), must be able to manage multiple projects, prioritize responsibilities and deliverables, adapt to new challenges and operate effectively in a fast-paced work environment. This role includes a broad range of HR duties and exposure and is an excellent opportunity for an emerging HR professional.
• Working under general direction of the VP, Human Resources, provide human resources and administrative support for the department.
• Provide bilingual HR support; translation and also communication of HR initiatives to employees as needed.
• Assist with health and welfare programs including enrollments, changes and terminations within our benefits offerings. Interface heavily with payroll for accurate record-keeping and proper deductions are being communicated in the HRIS/payroll system. Manage broker relationships as needed to ensure appropriate support and flow of information.
• File Workers Compensation claims, monitor and manage claims process as needed, and provide assistance and information to employees.
• Ensure Disability claims are processed effectively and efficiently; monitor and manage claims process as needed, providing assistance and information to employees.
• Ensure FMLA paperwork is in order and that appropriate notices and communications are given during absences relevant to FMLA.
• Assist in creation and maintenance of job description data base.
• Assist with administration and collection of data during quarterly performance check ins, and the annual performance management process.
• Assist with compensation analysis as needed.
• Post open job descriptions on relevant internet job board sites as they arise.
• Ensure appropriate applications and forms are collected for potential hires. Process confidential background checks.
• Assist with recruitment and candidate evaluation, as requested.
• Assist with new employee orientation/onboarding.
• Research training programs, vendors, speakers for relevant needs of the company as directed.
• Conduct regular audits of compensation, benefits, I-9, compliance, and other HR programs and systems
• Assist Managers and employees with basic interpretation of HR policies and procedures
• Respond to verifications of employment status as needed
• Assist with the logistics of internal meetings including prep materials, technology needs, videoconferencing as appropriate and other details
• Provide analytical and administrative support to VP, Human Resources, including key metrics and detail compensation analysis.
• Maintains employee confidence and protects operations by keeping human resource information confidential.
• Maintain and update electronic filing and database systems
• Prepares and maintains reports that are necessary to carry out the functions of the Human Resources department. Prepares periodic reports, spreadsheets, and presentations for management, as necessary or requested
• Assist with day to day operations of the HR functions and duties
• Other projects and ad hoc administrative responsibilities as needed
• B.S. degree in Human Resources, or equivalent HR experience
• 1-2+ years HR experience in a professional office environment
• Bilingual Spanish; written and verbal for concise communications
• Basic understanding of laws relevant to HR practices
• Outstanding Microsoft Office skills, with especially strong Excel skills
• Outstanding work ethic; punctual, accountable, able to work necessary hours to meet deadlines
• Strong written and verbal communications skills; writing samples may be requested.
• Empathetic and patient approach to dealing with employee questions or concerns. Discernment to recognize when issues become escalated.
• Very strong organizational skills and detail orientation. Strong follow through to complete projects and assignments within prescribed timeframe.
• Natural team builder and company evangelist; able to work with all departments and represent the HR department with professionalism and integrity.
• Naturally discerning, highly confidential, excellent judgement when dealing with employee matters of the highest confidence.
• Willingness and flexibility to work on a broad spectrum of tasks and responsibilities; work of substance, but also tedious administrative matters which must also be done.
• Ability to travel to job sites within the local area as needed within DC and Montgomery County, MD.
• All candidates for consideration must submit to a background check and drug test, and produce outcomes which meet the standards of the company for hire.
Preferred skills and experience:
Previous real estate experience; multifamily highly desired
Training delivery experience
Previous FMLA compliance and management
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.Murphy@Towercompanies.com
No phone calls please. EOE
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies is recognized as an international authority in the industry, and to have been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency.