Job Description: Sustainability Analyst
Office Location: Rockville, Maryland
Position Type: Full Time
The Sustainability Analyst is responsible for working with various team members to maintain and further The Tower Companies’ sustainability goals. The Tower Team strives to be a leader of environmental responsibility in the real estate industry, by developing and managing high performance properties, being a global voice on environmental stewardship, and sharing our sustainable and innovative practices. The Sustainability Analyst will report to the VP of Strategy & Sustainability and will work closely with the engineering, property management, construction, leasing, legal, and accounting teams to complete successful projects, manage on-going programs, and accomplish goals in a timely manner.
The Sustainability Analyst will be responsible for working with the Vice President of Strategy & Sustainability on the following efforts:
- Manage LEED projects and maintain best practices from previous LEED Certifications;
- Collect and review energy and water benchmarking data;
- Prepare applications and finalize annual ENERGY STAR Certifications;
- Prepare annual GHG Inventory Reporting and manage verification process;
- Review and manage carbon offsets and renewable energy credit purchases;
- Assist with energy, water, IAQ, and waste management programs and associated reporting;
- Assist in the identification and generation of the documentation for green building related rebates and tax incentives;
- Maintain current knowledge of the codes and standards related to construction and sustainability;
- Provide project management support of ongoing sustainability-related activities,
- Review and put into effect vendor contracts and help to process associated invoices;
- Prepare sustainability communications and engage all stakeholders to promote sustainability activities;
- Prepare presentations and represent the Company at events;
- Engage and communicate with building occupants to encourage sustainable practices and develop related programming and outreach.
- Assist Company staff with questions related to sustainability best practices.
- Organize events related to sustainability and corporate responsibility activities such as Earth Day, Green Apple Day, Bike to Work Day, and other community outreach efforts.
- Bachelor degree in engineering, construction, or business with strong focus in sustainability or relevant project experience.
- Minimum 2-4 years’ work experience
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP O+M preferred.
- Understanding of metrics tracking across sustainability topic areas such as climate, energy, water, waste, and transportation
- General knowledge and interest of corporate responsibility trends and green building strategies in the real estate industry.
- Familiar with LEED and other sustainability practices for new and existing buildings.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and product/material specifications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to assist with event planning for groups both internal and external to the Company
- Ability to prioritize projects to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, highly motivated and have strong organizational skills.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to HR@towercompanies.com. No phone calls please.
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies is recognized as an international authority in the industry, and to have been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency.