Position: Maintenance Technician
Reports to: Direct: Regional Facilities Manager
Indirect: VP, Engineering
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide the highest level of customer service to existing and potential residents, demonstrated through both attitude and a sense of urgency to respond to customers’ needs. As the lead technician onsite, assume proactive and proprietary interest in for maintaining the physical asset of the property under the direction of the Regional Facilities Manager and VP, Engineering and sometimes at the direction of a Property Manager, depending on the circumstances. This position requires a rotational shift of on-call duties after normal business hours. All on call responses must be managed efficiently and promptly.
Responsibilities include, (but are not limited to):
- Ensuring the timely completion of all maintenance service requests as assigned.
- Responsible for the vigilant pursuit of improvements or repairs needed on a proactive basis (without a service request assigned).
- Responsible for assisting with the coordination and recordation of all maintenance/safety related inspections.
- Responsible for communicating any issue of concern, whether technical or customer oriented, to supervisors to ensure consistency in resolution.
- Help to maintain inventory controls for cost effective operations, working within prescribed budget and cost limitations when requesting parts.
- Assist with maintaining the maintenance shop so it is organized and maintained for efficiency, as well as for compliance to safety standards.
- Assist in the monitoring of all work being performed by outside contractors. Ensure completion to Tower’s standards and expectations per the approved work order scope given.
- Assist with the Preventive Maintenance Program as scheduled and directed. Coordinate special projects as directed by the Regional Facilities Manager or the VP, Engineering. (or in certain circumstances, the Property Manager).
- Monitor and maintain all building systems. Communicate any systems issues or problems to the Regional Facilities Manager. If escalated, report major issues to the VP, Engineering.
- Complete grounds work as directed by Property Manager or Regional Facilities Manager which may include picking up trash, sweeping curb and dumpster areas and maintaining landscaping beds and other areas and performing work within the parking garage and surfaces.
- Complete snow or ice removal prior to business hours, (7am) and treat walks and public surfaces to ensure safety for our employees and residents.
- Responsible for alerting the Property Manager and Regional Facilities Manager of any unusual occurrence and/or damage that have taken place or that may occur.
- Complete your own payroll time sheets weekly to record working hours.
- Maintain a professional, courteous manner with all residents, vendors, contractors, and fellow employees.
- Assure safety standards are used which comply with all company, local, City, State and Federal guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of all work related activities in a fair, ethical, and consistent manner.
- Follow established company policies and those outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Maintain a high rating, or high positive score for all customer reviews.
- This job requires exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly. You will often be exposed to elements as there is some work required to be performed outside of the building. You will be required to reach, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, crawl, grip and use small and large motor skills.
- Special projects and other responsibilities as may be determined.
Required skills and attitudes:
Extremely strong customer service orientation and mindset. A natural desire to exceed the expectations of the residents who reside in our assets.
Minimum of 5+ years apartment maintenance experience with strong employment references.
Basic maintenance skills, including basic plumbing, electrical, drywall, tile, carpet repair, etc.
HVAC certification highly preferred; a willingness to obtain HVAC certification is required.
Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
A willingness to communicate issues as they arise and maintain a culture or transparency.
Must be able to respond to an emergency onsite within 30 minutes.
Must be able arrive to The Pearl prior to normal business hours for emergencies, or snow or ice removal to ensure the safety of our residents.
- Minimum of basic knowledge of computers
- Ability to use Outlook, Yardi
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word and Excel preferred
*All candidates considered for hire must complete and pass a background check and drug test with outcomes that meet Tower’s standards for hire.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.murphy@Towercompanies.com No phone calls please.
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies built Blair Towns, the first LEED certified apartments in the country, and is an international authority in the industry. We have been recognized for our commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency. EOE