Reports to: Direct: Manager of Facilities
Indirect: VP, Engineering
Compensation: Hourly, varies DOE
Hours: 8-5pm, Monday thru Friday, with rotational emergency on-call (one week monthly)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide the highest level of customer service to existing and potential residents, demonstrated through both attitude and a sense of urgency to respond to customers’ needs. Demonstrate a proactive and proprietary interest in for maintaining the apartments and building assigned, under the direction of the Manager of Facilities and VP, Engineering.
Responsibilities include, (but are not limited to):
- Ensuring the timely completion of all maintenance service requests as assigned, in the time frame prescribed. This includes (but is not limited to) addressing issues in plumbing, basic electrical, HVAC, appliance repair and replacement, drywall, tile, and household repairs.
- Utilize Yardi system to indicate service call completions or a need for more time, tools, parts.
- Responsible for communicating any issue of concern, whether technical or customer oriented, to supervisors to ensure consistency in resolution.
- Responsible for the vigilant pursuit of improvements or repairs needed on a proactive basis (without a service request assigned).
- Take part in ensuring the maintenance shop is organized and maintained for efficiency, as well as for compliance to safety standards.
- Assist with the Preventative Maintenance Program as scheduled and directed. Coordinate special projects as directed by the Manager of Facilities or the VP, Engineering.
- Monitor and maintain all building systems as assigned. Communicate any systems issues or problems to the Manager of Facilities. If escalated, report major issues to the VP, Engineering.
- Complete grounds work as directed which may include picking up trash, sweeping curb and dumpster areas and maintaining landscaping beds and other areas and performing work within the parking garage and surfaces.
- Complete snow or ice removal prior to business hours, (7am) and treat walks and public surfaces to ensure safety for our employees and residents.
- Responsible for alerting the Manager of Facilities of any unusual occurrence and/or damage that have taken place or that may occur.
- Maintain a professional, courteous manner with all residents, vendors, contractors, and fellow employees.
- Comply with all safety standards, which comply with all company, local, City, State and Federal guidelines.
- Follow established company policies and those outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Maintain a high rating, or high positive score for all customer reviews.
- Special projects and other responsibilities as may be determined
Required skills and attitudes:
- Minimum of 8 + years apartment maintenance experience with strong employment references.
- HVAC certification required.
- Strong apartment maintenance skills, including plumbing/drain snake operation, domestic hot water systems, basic electrical, drywall, tile, carpet repair, etc.
- Ability to read schematics and troubleshoot HVAC and other systems issues
- Extremely strong customer service orientation and mindset. A natural desire to exceed the expectations of the residents of The Blairs.
- Strong English communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- A willingness to communicate issues as they arise and maintain a culture or transparency.
- Must be able to respond to an emergency onsite within 30 minutes if on call.
- Must be able arrive to The Blairs prior to normal business hours for emergencies, or snow or ice removal to ensure the safety of our residents.
- This job requires exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly.
- This job requires the ability to climb a 10 foot ladder and stairs frequently.
- Minimum of basic knowledge of computers; must be able to use a maintenance phone app for service ticket generation and closeout
- Ability to use Outlook, Yardi
- Knowledge of MS Word
*All candidates considered for hire must complete and pass a background check and drug test with outcomes that meet Tower’s standards for hire.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.murphy@Towercompanies.com No phone calls please.
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies built Blair Towns, the first LEED certified apartments in the country, and is an international authority in the industry. We have been recognized for our commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency. EOE