Office Locations: Rockville, Maryland and Silver Spring, Maryland
Reports to: VP, Property Management
Position Type: Full Time
The Director of Marketing will support Tower’s business strategy with a focus on its owned and managed multifamily residential properties which includes 1,400 residential units in the downtown Silver Spring area; a DC metropolitan market. This will be achieved by working collaboratively with the VP, Property Management, Property Managers and Directors onsite, the Sustainability & Strategy department and ownership as well as other operational departments as needed. The objective of this role is to provide and/or coordinate marketing services and strategies that best support the attainment of established occupancy and revenue goals as well as maximize the overall financial performance of each asset. The Director of Marketing acts as an advisor to the business, delivering impactful and meaningful programs, campaigns and communication strategies that position Tower and its owned and managed properties as a market leader. This role will serve in two functioning capacities. The primary role is focused on developing and executing marketing strategies for Tower’s owned and managed assets, and secondarily to support Tower’s corporate brand strategy and communications/messaging strategy to the public at large.
The primary goal of the Director of Marketing is to drive revenue through integrated, creative and aggressive marketing campaigns. Strategies employed will include lead-generating digital marketing (email, web, social), events and sponsorships, partnerships, and public relations initiatives. The Director of Marketing will enable the leasing and sales functions with selling tools, targeting recommendations, training, and communications; and ensures the brand is represented consistently across the portfolio. They will initiate and plan sales events such as open houses, community outreach events and customer appreciation initiatives.
The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter who has a track-record and passion for driving revenue through thoughtful, trend setting initiatives. This candidate will be highly skilled and proficient in all aspects of marketing. The successful candidate is nimble, pragmatic, and a creative problem-solver, comfortable working as a one-person department, leading collaboratively with other operational functions with Tower.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Working closely with Ownership, Property Management, Sustainability, and other departments to develop marketing concepts and strategies to set Tower assets apart and stand out in the competitive field of multifamily real estate.
- Develop and recommend a brand strategy for the residential campus and company, as well as associated collateral to drive traffic and consumer interest to the properties.
- Create, recommend and execute on an interactive, dynamic social media presence for Tower’s assets; continually update and create new engaging strategies to stay ahead of trends and increase awareness and site traffic.
- Advise owners and property management on, and execute approved media plans, digital media campaigns (email, SEO, PPC, social, etc.)
- Select and direct outside resources; agencies and vendors which support campaigns and initiatives, and serve as a prudent steward of allocated financial resources in doing so.
- Work collaboratively with onsite operations teams to analyze local market trends to develop strategic marketing plans.
- Continually update plans and strategies by using consumer feedback, insights and industry trends to update our approach to both drive increased traffic and deliver the highest level resident/client experience possible. Develop and deliver existing resident surveys to obtain data to develop targeted marketing campaigns.
- Lead collaboratively with IT, Property Management and outside resources (as needed) for updating property websites, collateral, signage, promo items, digital ads, etc.
- Exhibit excellent project management, problem-solving and decision-making skills while leading cross-functional collaboration across the organization.
- Communicate branding and marketing initiatives and ROI to owners and property management throughout entire brand development and marketing campaign process.
- Develop an annual marketing budget for each property in the assigned portfolio, working collaboratively with onsite management and ownership.
- Work closely with the VP, Sustainability & Strategy, and Tower’s ownership on Tower’s corporate branding initiatives and public relations strategies as the need arises. Ensure that Tower is visible and relevant in the real estate landscape.
- Promote sustainability initiatives, awards and recognitions as received, working closely with Tower’s VP Sustainability & Strategy.
- Ensure adherence to deadlines and budgets.
- Work with a high level of urgency, keeping ahead of trends and pace in the ever changing competitive landscape.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Four-year degree in marketing or communications field.
- Minimum of 8+ years of marketing experience.
- Recent multifamily industry experience is required.
- Commercial real estate experience is also highly desired.
- A strong awareness of sustainable business practices within the real estate industry.
- Proven success in crafting and implementing innovative ideas and concepts.
- Strong digital marketing strategy experience needed. Experience with marketing through PPC, ILS’s and GeoTargeting and re-targeting strategies.
- Expertise in launching marketing plans and advertising campaigns.
- Expertise in managing marketing planning and activation from start to finish.
- Proven success in managing multiple projects with tight deadlines and within budget.
- Proven abilities to be self-starter and work independently; a resourceful individual utilizing minimal outside resources, capable of creative and organic ideas and internal execution.
- Previous agency experience with a working understanding of email marketing, direct mail, and buzz marketing a plus.
Required Skills and Capabilities:
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Applications such as Word, Excel PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Strong familiarity and proficiency using Word Press, Mail Chimp, Photoshop, InDesign, and other related graphic software skills to assist with marketing tasks.
- Creative skills and the ability to develop content and graphics for various projects.
- Responsible for prioritizing projects to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Takes ownership of the function. Be recognized as a leader, flexible, proactive and highly motivated; have strong, organizational and communication skills with proven attention to detail.
- General knowledge and interest of corporate responsibility trends and green building strategies in the real estate industry.
- Capable of effectively managing multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a professional/courteous manner.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you’re interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy.Murphy@Towercompanies.com
No phone calls please. EOE
About The Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and envisions a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants, and create positive social change. The green building leader owns, develops, and manages over 5 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive live-work-play communities and hotels with over 8,000,000 SF in the development pipeline. The Tower Companies is recognized as an international authority in the industry, and to have been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including US Green Building Council, US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency.